Two-factor authentication is an extra layer of security that helps to protect your Envato account. When you have two-factor authentication on your account you will be asked to enter an authentication code in addition to your username and password when logging in.
How to enable two-factor authentication
To increase security on your Envato Elements account, you can enable two-factor authentication. This means that you will be required to enter an authentication code each time you log in to any Envato marketplace. You can learn more about two-factor authentication here.
You can enable or disable two-factor authentication at any time via your Envato account.
- Go to https://account.envato.com/
- Select ‘Two-factor authentication’ and select ‘Enable’.
- Download your choice of authenticator app to your mobile device, such as Google Authenticator or Authy.
- Once installed, scan the QR Code with your app to activate your two-factor authentication.
- You will see an onscreen message confirming that you’ve successfully enabled two-factor authentication and a list of your backup codes. You will also receive an email confirming the change.
- That's it! From now on, each time you log in you’ll be required to enter an authentication code from the app you used to set up two-factor authentication.
Print or save a copy of your backup codes as you will need these if you lose access to your authenticator app.
How to disable two-factor authentication
- Go to https://account.envato.com/
- Select ‘Two-factor authentication’ and select ‘Disable’.
- You will need to enter your Envato password to disable two-factor authentication.
- Select ‘Disable Two Factor Authentication’ to complete the disablement.
- You will receive an email confirming the change.
If you want to disable two-factor authentication but have forgotten your password, you can reset it from this page: https://account.envato.com/reset_password. We’ll send you an email with a link for you to reset the password. Once you have reset your password you will need to log into your account and provide your authentication code. Then follow the steps listed above to disable two-factor authentication.
If you decide you would like to re-enable two-factor authentication on your account, you can do so at any time by following these steps.
If you need help managing your two-factor authentication, you can contact us here.
Signing in with a social account
Two-factor authentication via Envato is unavailable for users signing in with a social account.
Two-factor Authentication FAQs
How does it work?
Each time you log into your Envato account you will need to enter your username and password plus an authentication code. You will need to access your authentication code from a mobile app like Authy or Google Authenticator. These apps generate time-based codes that are only valid for a small period of time.
What if I lose my device?
If you lose your device you can use your backup codes to log in. Once you gain access to your account you can disable your two-factor authentication from account.envato.com and set it up on a new device.
If you don’t have access to your backup codes, and cannot access your account please contact our support team here.
What are backup codes?
Backup codes are one-time use codes that will enable you to gain access to your account when you don’t have access to your mobile device. Your backup codes are automatically generated when you first set up two-factor authentication. You should treat backup codes like passwords and store them securely in a password manager or something similar. You can generate new backup codes at any time from account.envato.com, by clicking on ‘Two Factor Authentication’ and ‘View backup codes’.
Can I turn two-factor authentication off if I change my mind?
Yes, you can manage your two-factor authentication from account.envato.com by clicking on ‘Two Factor Authentication’ and disable (or enable) at any time. You can follow the steps outlined here.
What if my two-factor authentication codes won't allow me to log in?
If the time displayed on your mobile device is incorrect for the timezone your device is set to, then your authenticator app codes may not work when you try to login. You can use this link to check if your mobile time is correct.
To synchronize the time and timezone on your device, go to the ‘Date and Time’ settings on your mobile device and reset (turn off and then on again) the automatic time setting. This should ensure the time on your mobile device is correct and allow you to log in with the authenticator app codes.